Big Brothers Big Sisters serves a wide variety of children and families facing various levels of adversity. A young boy may have a great deal of stability in his life but is missing the full engagement of his father. He needs a Big Brother – a friend he can talk to who can introduce him to new experiences and encourage him to pursue his dreams.
But, there are also an estimated 100,000 children in Eastern Missouri who are in serious need of a Big Brother or Big Sister. Who are these children? They are children who face multiple challenges. Many live in poverty, come from single parent households, have a parent behind bars and struggle with their academic performance. These children need extra support and encouragement. They need you, me… us!
Our families look to us because they trust that We’ll Be Theresm to support and encourage their child. They want the very best for their child and know reality can be daunting:
- Children in poverty are twice as likely to repeat a grade and twice as likely to drop out of school.
- Children who experience frequent residential moves and stressful life transitions have been shown to have higher risk for school failure.
- Children living in single parent homes often experience more conflict with their parent and suffer from a loss of parental supervision and support.
- Studies have shown that more than half of children with incarcerated parents have had school problems including poor grades and aggressive behaviors. ·
- Parental incarceration creates instability in family relationships, family structure and residential mobility. These children often have difficulty forming healthy relationships.
Having a trusting and enduring relationship with a Big Brother or Big Sister is not a luxury – it is a necessity.
Children need support and encouragement. Together we can ensure the very best for these young people. We can help them enjoy healthy relationships, stay in school, avoid substance abuse and have the self-confidence to make good decisions. We’ll Be ThereSM!